Sunday, September 11, 2011

Screw it

Avi and I leave in two full days. There has been a festival going on in Bangalore this whole time and today we went to a street fair and went crazy with the food. Screw it. If my a$$ explodes, it explodes. I ate five plates of stuff. Everything as usual was very good, not to mention 30-40 cents each - we completely stuffed ourselves for two dollars. Fried lentil dishes, puris (fried ball things that they stuff), other fried things. The only thing that wasn't good was the masala Pepsi....just not my thing.  Think savory, salty soda pop.

Here' some more videos, courtesy of Avinash:




I am starting to get antsy to get back. Tomorrow is shopping for gifts and then dinner plans. Tuesday is a full day with Avi's family, including a full homemade lunch. But yeah, I'm totally getting antsy to get back. Avi and I already have a man-date, medium-rare steak night planned immediately upon getting back. And despite the fact that I've become a fat bastard, eating everything in sight and drinking too much without any exercise besides the physical activities in Ladakh, I am already compiling a mental list of foods that I am going to need to attack once I get back. Pizza, and some good cheese. Ruffage! A bacon egg and cheese sandwich. A Chipolte burrito. Broccoli.

Don't get me wrong - the food here has been super good. Indians have it right. Combine salty, sweet and spicy with texture, usually a crunch, and it's a home run most of the time. I can't stress how flavorful things are here. But I guess, predominantly as a spoiled New Yorker, I am really in need of some different flavor profiles at this point.

So, two more days until we start the long journey back. I certainly have a lot more to say in terms of cultural perspective and maybe even some India travel tips but I wanted to get this out... I want bacon!!! I want my own bed and I want to snuggle with Melissa. This has been a great trip but I think we gave it just the right amount of time, mainly since I am starting to get the itch to head back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment