Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ladakh, day five

The computers here are very frustrating. Yeah, at least they have them, but the one I'm sitting at right now may be my old one from college, recycled from the Binghamton landfill. The connection is terrible to boot (pun intended). But loads of pictures and videos are coming when I have time back in Bangalore. We're leaving to go back on Friday. 


Today was the highlight of the trip so far. Yesterday we took a bus through yet another ridiculously windy mountain road to the Nubra Valley. Again I have plenty of pics but frustratingly no way to show them to you. It was so beautiful though, and the same description applies from before: literally riding around high mountains in the clouds then down into this gorgeous valley, passing waterfalls and rivers running throughout. Add wild horses, donkeys and marmots (essentially ground hogs) to the list of fauna seen, plus way more yaks. [Incidentally the locals cross-breed yaks and cows which I've dubbed Yows and which has now officially caught on with my Indian crew. Trademark application pending...]


Unfortunately the trip was my undoing however. As I described last post, the dust and the altitude here are both relentless. The trip to the valley was a five hour ordeal, at least half on unpaved, rocky roads in a minibus with no shocks to speak of. I felt nauseous for the last two hours. At least that got me the best seat in the house, right next to the driver. Anyways, when we finally got to the hotel I crashed. Slept for 4 hours while the rest of the crew went to (another) monastery (our fifth, so okay with me). Apparently I missed some hilarity via double-humped camel rides, but that's Avi's story to tell. I feel better now though, thanks to some much needed rest (and a new mattress in a new hotel).


Back to the highlight of the trip. Check out this link, which describes the Khardung La pass. We went through there yesterday to get to Nubra Valley. Today we took the same (ugh shitty bouncy non shock having) minibus back up there. Waiting for us? MOUNTAIN BIKES! Yup, we road 50 kms downhill from Leh. 


Avi almost died. No exaggeration. The fist third or so was unpaved rock slash dirt and, of course trying to be Mr. Cool leading the pack, he was flying down this rocky road at I would say 30 mph. I didn't see it happen but when I rounded the corner he was on the ground. Apparently he flipped his bike on a rock and very luckily landed on his hip... disaster averted. I won't lie either - I had a mini accident myself. This road had some crazy hair-pin turns, and on one of the first ones I cut it the wrong way and had to hit the ejector seat at a very reasonable 2 miles an hour, lest crash into a boulder. No damage. Another guy did the same thing, bloodying his knee. 


It felt like the Tour De France though. Great turns, and once the pavement started we really could let go of the breaks a little - I would say at times a very safe 30-40 mphs, on the straight drops. And of course the views were astounding throughout, funneling right into downtown Leh.


We only have one full day left here, a three hour hike and then three hours of rafting planned. I like how the last two days have turned into physical affairs - the last two weeks seemed to be all eating and then driving around and then eating some more. Friday we're back in Bangalore where hopefully you will be inundated with more pictures and videos than you can handle in one sitting. Doing my best to keep you occupied : )  



No comments:

Post a Comment